Microsclerotherapy is a well-established, walk-in-walk-out treatment for improving the appearance and symptoms of spider veins (also called thread veins) and small reticular veins. It is recognised by The College of Phlebology as “the optimal treatment of thread veins (or spider veins) of the legs in the majority of cases”.
Benefits of microsclerotherapy over alternative treatments
Microsclerotherapy has several advantages over alternative types of spider vein treatment, such as laser, intense pulsed light (IPL) or electrolysis, including:
- Less likely to damage the skin
- Quicker procedure
- Treats hidden thread veins that feed surface thread veins
- Leaves minimal scarring, bruising and swelling
What does microsclerotherapy spider vein treatment involve?
Pre-treatment duplex scan
Patients that present with superficial spider veins often have hidden varicose veins. Finding and treating these makes treating spider veins much more effective. Therefore, it is best practice for your consultant surgeon to perform a duplex ultrasound scan at your first consultation. The scan will show any underlying varicose veins and allow your consultant to identify the best course of treatment.
The microsclerotherapy procedure
Microsclerotherapy is a walk-in-walk-out procedure that does not require an anaesthetic and takes less than an hour to perform.
How does it work?
Your consultant will use a special light to highlight your veins and inject a liquid sclerosant into the affected veins using a very fine needle. The sclerosant destroys the vein wall, the vein collapses and is absorbed by the body over time. Once all the thread veins have been treated, the treated area is dressed, and a compression stocking is applied. You will need to wear the stocking for up to two weeks.
Microsclerotherapy recovery time
Depending on the extent of the veins being treated, you should be able to drive yourself home from the clinic and return to work straight away.
Walking and running
Walking is an excellent post-procedure exercise as it encourages blood circulation in your legs and promotes the healing process. It is best to avoid more vigorous exercise such as jogging, aerobics or gym work-outs until after your dressings have been removed.
Swimming and cycling
Light, low-impact exercise such as swimming and cycling is good for vein health. You should wear your stocking during these activities and avoid strenuous levels of exercise until after you stop wearing your stocking.
Avoid flying for two weeks after treatment, particularly if you are planning to fly long haul.
Microsclerotherapy risks and side effects
Microsclerotherapy is a low-risk procedure for treating spider veins. Some patients will experience minor side effects, such as:
- Temporary bruising in the first few days after treatment
- Pigmentation – the veins may appear more prominent in the early days after treatment. This will resolve over time, but it may take 6-12 months before seeing the full cosmetic results of your treatment.
- Tenderness and/or lumps in the treated area. This will settle within two weeks. If necessary, you can take paracetamol or ibuprofen to relieve any discomfort.
- Thrombophlebitis – if your microsclerotherapy treatment has been combined with treatment for varicose veins, you may develop a painful red lump over one or more of those veins. This is called superficial thrombophlebitis. It can be treated with anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen and will settle down after 1 or 2 weeks. It can also be treated by withdrawing a small volume of trapped blood from the treated vein a few weeks after treatment.
Complications are rare for patients undergoing microsclerotherapy, but there is a small risk of developing:
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Mild allergic reaction
- Transient visual disturbance
You will have the opportunity to ask questions and discuss any concerns you have about potential risks and side effects at your consultation.
How much does microsclerotherapy cost?
Prices and pricing structures vary from clinic to clinic. You can avoid being faced with any hidden costs by asking for an upfront fixed-price quote at your consultation.
Contact us for more information
Premier Veins offers a range of walk-in-walk-out treatments for varicose veins and thread veins. If you would like to talk to us about our treatment packages or book a FREE mini-consultation, please contact our friendly reception team who will be happy to help.
Call us: 0121 769 2646
Email us: [email protected]